How I am surviving a heart attack and quadruple bypass, and maybe even surviving life...

Friday, August 17, 2007

Quick thoughts on working

My response, albeit modified here, to a Huffington Post blog regarding the new have-nots in America.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-longley/just-work-the-for_b_60789.html

I was taught that any legitimate job was a good one, from a father who 40 years ago was able to buy a house and car and clothe and feed a wife and four children on what were basically low-end service jobs (like taking orders over the phone, handling customer complaint letters, etc).

I have had the same kind of jobs as he did, and spent 10 years of my late 20s and early 30s at a 75-year-old local insurance company working my way up from the mailroom to being groomed as a claims adjuster, until the company got bought out and was closed.

Maybe the younger generation understands and can effectively maneuver through this new kind of economy, but I feel like a dinosaur who played by the rules while the Bush family and the top 1% threw down a meteor, and laughed as the world below them grew dark.

No comments: