How I am surviving a heart attack and quadruple bypass, and maybe even surviving life...

Monday, July 21, 2008

Today is my birthday

Today is my birthday - I think actually a little past noon on Saturday, July 21, 1962. I was two weeks overdue: another day and the doctors were planning to induced labor. (Another argument for "karmic tendencies" -- I didn't even want to leave the womb, lol).

I actually have 3 birthdays: today, July 21; July 24, the anniversary of my traveling to New York City three days after my 20th birthday, where I received my Gohonzon and officially became a Buddhist; and now the anniversary of my quadruple bypass surgery on April 18, 2007.


Anyway, I was just biking home, from my parents' house in which I grew up in Kenmore; I dropped off my new van at my mechanic's near them to do a tune-up (hopefully that is where the misfiring and blinking "Service Engine Soon" light is coming from, and not anything deeper), and had biked over there (I can stow my bike in the back if my new van - standing up!), and they took me to breakfast. Now just waiting for the call from my mechanic that he is done so I can bike back up there.


Anyway anyway --

I am biking down "The Horsepath", that half-road down Kenmore between Wilbur and Military -- now paved, but still closed to cars except for residents pulling in to park in their driveways. I used to bike it all the time, then gravel and old asphalt, when I was in late elementary school and junior high school.

As I was biking down it today, I passed a man trudging along it. A man - chubby and bearded, about 30, already a bit worn from life.

And I thought: "The last time I biked here, you weren't even born..."

Wow! Just crazy, when you think about life, sometimes.


No comments: